SKA Health Page

Dear Parents, 


As your child prepares for the fall term, it is a good time to tell you about our health program, how to upload your medical forms into our DDC Medical Module and information regarding the New York State Regulations.




Under New York law, we are prohibited from admitting any student without a certificate of immunization from a healthcare practitioner.  The immunizations required vary by age and grade, and your health care professional, the school nurse, your local health authority, or the NYS Department of Health can advise you of the immunizations your child must have for admission to school.  If you provide us with a healthcare practitioner’s certificate that your child is in the process of receiving the required immunizations, your child may attend school while proceeding with the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices catch-up schedule.  If a student fails to comply with the catch-up schedule, the student must be excluded from school within 14 days.  If you are transferring to our school from out-of-state or another country and are in the process of obtaining proof of immunization or a certificate of immunization, your child may attend for 30 days while providing the required documentation.


If you cannot afford the immunizations, your local health authority will administer or arrange for the administration of the immunizations.


Please be aware that children entering 12th grade must submit proof of meningitis (MenACWY) vaccine administered after age 16.


Please be aware that all 9th graders must submit proof of having received 2 Varicella vaccines and 1 meningitis (MenACWY) vaccine.


If you believe you have a legitimate medical exemption or deferral from immunization under New York law, your application must be approved by the HALB Executive Office prior to the expiration of the state-mandated time periods.  Your application may be rejected, in which case we will advise you of the reasons. Medical exemptions or deferrals, if granted, must be reissued annually.  Without a certificate of immunization or an approved exemption, a child will not be permitted to attend classes.  

A new student will not be admitted without complying with the state law.


N.Y. State Education Law requires a signed and dated certificate of Immunization from a physician or health clinic to be on record for each entering student.  It is crucial that each student’s immunization record is uploaded and submitted BEFORE the start of the school year. Students without an immunization record on file will be unable to attend school in September.


Any child without documentation of the required immunizations will be excluded from school until such documentation is received.




Because of new NYS Immunization requirements, DRS and SKA require ALL (Grades 9-12) students to submit updated physical exam records, INCLUDING updated immunization records. CAMP FORMS ARE NOT PERMITTED. 

****Also, any student participating in a sport must have a current physical on file before tryouts.




Screenings done throughout the year include: vision and hearing. You will be advised if further follow up is necessary.




Any child with a contagious illness must be excluded from school. Please notify the office of illnesses such as chicken pox, strep throat, lice, flu, mononucleosis, and any other non-contagious significant illness.




No medication may be given in school unless a medication permission form is filled out and signed by you and your doctor. Medication must be in a labeled prescription container. Tylenol and Advil can not be dispensed unless the student brings into the Health Office in an original sealed bottle with their name on it!! If your child carries an inhaler, Epipen or insulin, all appropriate orders must be completed and signed by you and your physician. If your child has any serious allergies please make sure that you and your doctor complete the food allergy care plan. Please keep the health office informed of any medication that your child takes at home.



Please make sure to include all necessary emergency contacts as well as physician’s name and phone number. Every effort will be made to contact you in the event of an emergency.

Please submit all forms online using the DDC Medical Module. Log onto the DDC parent portal with your username and password that you used for report cards and/or from your initial application process. (If you have forgotten your password click forgot user name and password. The password and username will be sent to you).

After logging in, click on My Account and then Medical Forms.

Complete all sections online.



We will no longer accept paper forms. You must upload your completed forms onto this portal.



If you need technical assistance, please email Ruthi Seidenfeld at [email protected]

Extra health and medication forms can be downloaded below.


You still must upload your completed forms onto the DDC portal. We also accept your physician’s Electronic Medical Record, however you still must upload them to the portal. The High School Health Office is open Monday through Friday. Please feel free to call if you have any questions.



Mrs. Joan Sherman, R.N.

SKA School Nurse

(516) 374-7195   ext 116   

[email protected]